24/11/2014 | KITESURF TRIP: WHAT DO I BRING?!
Last minute packing. Yep, it happens and you probably do it too! For our trips, we like to keep it simple. Less things to bring, less things to lose with the most opportunity for fun!
1. The Airush Compact Raw – to be honest, we like to be minimalistic in our approach to traveling. That means only 1 board that we can kite and surf. The Compact Raw 5’11 is pretty ideal for larger riders and smaller surf where as the 5’9 is great for someone smaller.
2. Two Airush Wave Kites – checking the forecast, we make our call that anything bigger than a 9m will mean we are surfing instead of kiting. Keeping the 9-7m split is ideal, or going 9-6m if there is a chance of some nuking days.
3. Spare Fins – Where did it go?! You do not know how it happened but it did. The end of sessions is a missing fin so we always bring a 2nd set to keep the trip alive!
4. Boardies – 4 way stretch all the way. Spend top dollar on your boardies. Like a bed or a pillow, you expect to use it a lot! So you might as well make sure you have the very best pair that fits and performs the very best.
5. Leash – When you can’t get moving on your 9m, switch over to paddle mode and you are still having a solid session.
6. 015 Airush Smartbar – Can’t use a kite without a bar, right? We like the Smartbar 6 because you can change your line lengths quickly. 21m for powered up days and 24m setting for lighter days.
7. Pump – “I’ll just use someone else’s pump when I get there.” Says everyone. Make sure YOU are covered and don’t rely on anyone. It is an awkward piece of equipment to bring in your bag but essential.
8. Headphones/Iphone – Music is everything and it drowns out the baby crying next to you on the plane. Noise cancelling headies are totally worth it!
9. Sunnies – Cooking your eyes isn’t fun. Bring your polarised set since you’ll spend a few hours of day looking at the water waiting for the wind or swell to pick up.
10. Wax – keep an endless supply of wax. You’ll let someone borrow it for a quick rub and it will vanish. Plus, who likes to come unstuck all the time?!
Bonus: Our top Airline picks for traveling. We have the best experiences with these Airlines during our trips. These fliers give the least amount of hassle for abnormal sized equipment.
Please note, Emirates is really good but you need to make sure you are under 30 kg otherwise they slap you with hefty overweight charges.
– Emirates Airlines
– Qatar Airlines
– Turkish Airlines
– Eithad Airlines